CM/ECF Login

Filing & CM/ECF

Copy Requests

Mediation and Assessment Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Criminal Debt Payment

Filing Without an Attorney


Multidistrict Litigation


Prisoner Pro Se Office

Local Rules, ESI Principles, Procedures & Fees

Frequently Asked Questions for District Court Cases

Where is the Court located?

Court locations, directions, and maps.

Can I file documents or pleadings at any Western District of Missouri Clerk's Office?

Documents and pleadings may be filed electronically using the Case Management/Electronic Case Filing system (CM/ECF). See the Court's CM/ECF site for further information. If you are a pro se filer, documents or pleadings can either be filed in the Jefferson City, Kansas City, or Springfield courthouse.

What are the Clerk's Office hours?

The Clerk's Office is open to the public for business Monday thru Friday, except for legal holidays, during the hours 9:00 to 4:30.

How can I file before or after hours?

The CM/ECF system is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week which will allow for the electronic filing of documents and pleadings at any time. If it is necessary to file a document in paper, there is a drop box located in the courthouse lobby. Documents and pleadings may be placed in the drop box between the following hours and will be deemed filed that day.

Kansas City - 7:00 am and 6:00 pm
Springfield - 7:30 am and 5:00 pm
Jefferson City - There is no drop box at this location.

Can I file documents by fax?

No, faxed documents are not accepted in District Court.

What is the fee for filing a case with the United States District Court?

The fee for filing a civil case is $400. The fee for filing a miscellaneous action is $46.

What forms of payment are acceptable?

In Person: cash in the correct amount, check, money order, cashier's check, debit, or credit card. Please Note: cash is not accepted in the Jefferson City courthouse. No payments of any kind are accepted in the Springfield courthouse.

Electronically via CM/ECF: credit card, or ACH (direct deposit) which includes checking accounts, savings accounts, or debit cards.

Do I need to have an attorney to file a case?

You may represent yourself (referred to as Pro Se), however the District Court and clerk's office will not be able to provide you with legal advice.

What documents are needed to file a civil complaint?

To file electronically, see the Court's Electronic Case Filing Web site. To file pro se, you will need an original and one copy of the original signed complaint, a completed JS-44 civil cover sheet, $400 filing fee, or a motion to proceed in forma pauperis (IFP).

Where can I get the forms I need?

Some district forms may also be downloaded here. You should familiarize yourself with the court's local rules to determine which forms are required.

How do I find information on individual judges' policies and procedures?

You may contact the judges' courtroom deputy to obtain information on procedures and case status.

How do I take a deposition or arrange for the production of documents?

As officers of the court, attorneys are authorized to issue subpoenas in the name of any court in which they are authorized to practice, and, in the case of a deposition in another district, in the name of the court where the deposition is taking place. It is not required that the attorney be a member of the bar or admitted pro hac vice in the district where the subpoena is issued, as long as he/she is authorized to practice in the district where the primary case was filed. Note: Parties who are not officers of the court must have the clerk's office sign the subpoena for them before service.

How can I get copies of my case file?

Photocopy Information

How do I obtain information on mediation and alternative dispute resolution?

Mediation and Assessment Program

Where can I find out more about appeals?

See Frequently Asked Questions about District Court Appeals or view all of our District's Frequently Asked Questions.

Can I make Criminal Debt Payments Online?

Get information about Online Criminal Debt Payments here.

Does the Western District of Missouri have any guiding principles regarding the discovery of electronically stored information?

Get ESI Principle and Checklist information here.

Mission | Site Map | Employment | Holidays | Help & Comments | Contact Us | FAQs | Accessibility